6.05.2013

Birthday Cake Decor with Glue Dots®

Eek! A month since I last blogged! Sheesh! Things at work continue to be crazy, and I'm traveling from one end of the state to the other a few times a month. The good news is that there's light at the end of the tunnel (let's hope it's not a train!!), and things should at least be slowing down pretty soon!
I was thrilled when the lovely ladies (and possibly a few gents!) at Glue Dots wanted us to create some birthday decor. Little Miss O's birthday was earlier this year, and I was just waiting for a good opportunity to share how to make this cute little cake banner!

Banners seem to be all the rage right now with decorating, especially for a party. Anyone who knows me when it comes to my kids birthdays, I tend to go over the top with their cakes! This birthday was not the exception, either. A banner on the birthday cake? Genius!
While I was perusing the party section at Wally World, I came across some clearance flags on toothpicks. A pack of 30 for 50 cents! I wasn't sure how they would work, but the colors were perfect. The first step was getting the toothpicks out of the equation.


Use your fingernail (or whatever else you'd like) to tear one side of the flag's paper. This gives you a great little space to adhere them along your string. I used Micro Glue Dots® and bakers twine.

I used Mini Glue Dots® to adhere some K&Company chipboard letters to the front of the flags.






Leave enough extra twine to be able to wrap and tie the ends of the banner around the supports. I used paper straws from Target (again, on clearance! Score!)




So, a little over the top with all of the other decorations, but Little Miss O loved it...and I'll admit...I kind of did, too!



If you're wanting to see more of this la-la-lovely LaLaLoopsy party, check out my post here and here!

Supplies used:
  • Micro and Mini Glue Dots®
  • Baker's Twine (The Twinery)
  • Chipboard Letters (K&Company)
  • Paper straws (Target)
  • Toothpick flags (Wal-Mart)


I wrote this blog post while participating on the Glue Dots® design team

1 comment:

  1. I have those toothpick flags! So cute and perfect for crafting! Great project!!!

    ReplyDelete